Tornadoes are violent, rotating storms with very high winds which can be very destructive. Injuries or deaths most often are due to collapsed structures, flying objects, or people caught trying to outrun the funnel cloud.
Note these terms to help identify a tornado hazard:
- Tornado Watch: Tornadoes are possible in the area
- Tornado Warning: A tornado has been sighted.
What to Do
- Take cover
- Head for a sheltered area on the lowers floor of a nearby building
- If outside, lie flat in a low area
- Never attempt to outrun a tornado